Geotechnical Engineer – Subsea Cables
- Deadline: 08.03.2024
This role is for a major design, engineering and project management consultancy, who has been rapidly growing within various sectors and who is looking for multiple experienced professionals to join them on permanent basis. Our client has a great opportunity in their UK team for an ambitious Geotechnical Engineer to join their experienced and dynamic team, to help deliver a range of projects, primarily in the offshore renewables sector. This role supports flexible working / UK wide.
You will join a small team of Marine Geophysicists, Engineering Geologists, Geotechnical Engineers and Geomorphologists to provide geotechnical support to our Clients’ offshore cable projects. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing Marine Geoscience team, and to play a role on some of their most challenging projects, such as subsea interconnector and export cables.
Roles within this job include:
- Geological and Marine Geoscience Desk Studies.
- Cable Burial Risk Assessment and Depth of Lowering Assessment, including Probabilistic Risk Assessments.
- Carrying out Trenchability and Thermal Assessments.
- Analysis of AIS and VMS data to support Cable Burial Risk Assessments.
- Interpretation of borehole, CPT and vibrocore data.
- GIS based analysis of geophysical, geospatial and geotechnical data and data management.
- Planning, scoping and specification of marine geotechnical site investigations.
- Working closely with engineering geologists, geotechnical engineers, engineering geomorphologists, and marine geophysicists on a wide range of projects.
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent) with geotechnical, geoscience or subsea engineering content.
- Experience of acting as a Geotechnical Engineer, Engineering Geologist or Subsea - Cables Engineer in the offshore renewables industry, interconnector or telecommunications cables industries or a related field.
- Experience of working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Experience in originating Cable Burial Risk Assessments (CBRA), Depth of Lowering (DoL) assessments and / or Trenchability Assessments for offshore cables.
- Experience of working on cable routing scopes.
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team on subsea cables projects.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work.
- Depth of skills to allow the candidate to work on other offshore and terrestrial projects in a geotechnical engineering role.
- Experience of survey planning and management for subsea cables projects.
- Experience of subsea cable installation activities.
- Experience in the analysis of AIS or VMS data for Cable Burial Risk Assessments.
- Experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software (ArcGIS, QGIS or similar).
- Working towards chartership with the Society for Underwater Technology (SUT), Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) or Geological Society of London (GSL).
- Experience in and willingness to supervise offshore geotechnical surveys or subsea cable installation activities.