Team Manager - Flood Risk
- Deadline: 07.03.2024
Our client is an engineering consultancy that works in the water division across the UK . They are looking for a Team Manager (Flood Risk and Water Management) to lead their Flooding and Water Management Team in Leeds. The team sits within the company's Water Environment Department. The role will be based in Leeds with flexible working.
You will lead a growing team of environmental scientists, hydrologists/flood risk specialists and fluvial, surface water and urban drainage modellers; the team undertake a range of assessments to support strategic studies, and planning and design including environmental impact assessments (EIA), flood risk management, surface water management and SuDS, water quality and hydromorphological assessments, biodiversity net gain (river condition assessments) and river restoration.
Your role will be to lead the delivery of a wide variety of projects for several key clients both in the UK and Europe including water, energy and transport infrastructure companies, government agencies, local authorities and private developers. The work will cover a range of activities including project feasibility and strategic studies, planning and impact assessments and design and construction support.
You will also help in developing the skills and client’s portfolio of the Water Environment Department, for example in the Nature Based Solutions sector, supporting the strategic growth of the team. Your role is accountable for ensuring the quality of their client outcomes, organisational business performance, projects deliverables and the people experience of your colleagues. Your role is key in developing your colleagues and generating growth by looking for opportunities.
Core Duties And Responsibilities Will Include:
- Supporting and developing colleagues within your team, to enable them to be at their best.
- Providing technical guidance, support and training to colleagues leading in the development of the technical skills within the Water Environment Department.
- Implementing improvements to technical policy, processes and design solutions where applicable, and sharing via the knowledge management channels as appropriate.
- Actively leading and supporting input into the bidding process to ensure strong pipeline of work across the team.
- Managing and developing the clients’ portfolio taking an active role in developing business strategy and growing the future workload for the Water Environment Department.
- Ensuring a proactive health, safety and wellbeing culture and compliance to all Health and Safety procedures within the team to maintain colleague safety.
- Ensuring effective and consistent delivery of projects within your team, using the project management framework (PMF).
- Leading water environment input into large multidisciplinary projects or programmes.
- Ensuring all team projects and colleagues conform with the company's governance, policies and operating procedures.
- Accountable for financial KPIs including team budget P&L within the team.
- Working in close collaboration with and supporting colleagues from other disciplines as required.
- Higher degree in environmental science, engineering or similar subject with significant water science, hydrology, or hydraulics content.
- Chartered with a professional body such as CIWEM.
- Proven track record in appropriate technical discipline(s) including governance. Knowledge of the UK legislation governing the technical discipline including planning policy and relevant design standards.
- Proven ability in the leadership and motivation of individuals and teams.
- Commercial experience of managing P&L budgets, producing work winning tenders and understanding commercial risk, and influencing strategic decision-making within the business.
- Experience of managing projects and resources, project governance and acting as discipline lead on multi-disciplinary projects is essential.
- Strong interpersonal / team working skills.
- Excellent consultancy, communication and interpersonal skills with a good working relationship with all levels of the organisation, clients and contractors. The ability to communicate in a fluent and positive manner with other team members.