In support of our growing workload we are looking to expand our support services to our Building Structures team with individuals who share our values. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a new team within the Building Structures Business Unit and to further develop our below ground drainage design capabilities.
My client is an international multi-disciplinary consulting engineering company with over 90 years of experience in the built environment. We are a unique business whose purpose is to generate sustainable funds to address the environmental and social commitments resulting from the closure of Germany’s hard-coal mining industry; our work directly contributes to environmental protection and preservation for future generations.
Our expertise and capabilities cover Buildings, Rail, Highways and Transportation and Land Development.
As a result of our current workload and recent project successes we are seeking a client focused, technically competent, motivated engineer with extensive experience of working on building development projects. You will be expected to lead our below ground drainage team delivering work within the Building Structures business unit to a high standard. You will be supporting this team on a wide variety of flood risk management and drainage infrastructure projects for a range of private and public sector clients. In addition, you will be expected to collaborate with other in-house business units across the UK. We are looking for an individual who is passionate about delivering innovative blue infrastructure and high value sustainable engineering outcomes.
We operate a flexible work policy. However, you will be expected to provide on site support to the team in London.
Main Duties and Responsibilities;
• Providing technical and managerial leadership on the design, quality assurance and delivery of strategic flooding and below ground drainage related projects in support of the Building Structures Team
• Supporting our clients’ needs with high quality, cost effective engineering solutions delivered to programme and budget
• Representing the Building Structures team externally in project delivery, business development and marketing
• Managing multiple concurrent work streams in support of Building Structure’s project development work
• Line management, mentoring and leading the technical development of the Building Structures below drainage team
• Supporting the Building Structures team and bid team in the preparation of bids and fee proposals
• Supporting other business unit drainage design needs when required
• Assuming management support responsibilities within the Building Structures Unit
Qualification • Relevant civil engineering degree
• Professionally qualified Chartered Engineer (ICE or CIWEM)
Experience • Minimum 5 years post qualification experience in comparable industry sectors
• Able to demonstrate at least 5 years providing technical and managerial support to a team, at least 2 years as team leader or equivalent
• A comprehensive understanding of LLFA’s (London LLFA’s in particular) and the Environment Agency in relation to flood risk and drainage
• Experienced contributor to tender responses and bid proposals
• Highly experienced in the design of innovative blue infrastructure and below ground drainage for new developments and repurposing work
• Experienced in integrating sustainable development aspirations within blue infrastructure and below ground drainage
• Experienced in working with Contractors and resolving technical site issues
• An experienced workload manager, experienced in workload planning and the integration of workload into wider Business Unit resource planning
• An experienced peer reviewer, mentor and technical leader
Skills • Strong analytical, critical thinker; a creative, practical mindset; a problem solver
• An effective verbal and written communicator
• Abie to work with others, at all levels, across multiple teams
• Able to credibly represent the practice to external clients, design teams and technical peer groups
• A highly organised individual able to management multiple concurrent work streams
• Able to design complex, challenging and innovative blue infrastructure and below ground drainage for new developments and repurposing work
• Experience of modelling of surface water drainage, watercourses and waste water networks preferably using Flood Modeller (ISIS), Infoworks ICM (Incl. 2D), TUFLOW (1D-ESTRY & 2D) or MicroDrainage
• REVIT/Civils 3D skills desirable
• Sufficient general knowledge of building structures and design processes to facilitate senior representation of the building structures team in external meetings with clients and stakeholders
Useful Additional Skills • A background in building structures would be beneficial
• Experience working for Contracting organisations