The role of the Senior Estimator is to ensure highly competitive, carefully resourced, analysed tender costs and preparing
quality submissions to clients. To work within Frameworks evaluating negotiated contracts. To be aware of company targets
for new orders and aim to better them with profitable successful bids. Assist with budget prices for clients at early stages if
• Work to and within the Mackley company procedures, policies and regularly communicate with your line
• Ensuring that tenders are submitted on time and are complete.
• Assessing tenders upon receipt and allocating them within estimating staff.
• Studying tender documentation and information provided.
• Identifying Client requirements and developing the best offer to meet them.
• Identifying temporary works and design requirements.
• Identify and evaluate risks to be taken by the company that are subject to the tender review process.
Stakeholders and Communication
• Liaison with the client and client designer when required.
• Site visits and discussions with key subcontractors.
• Identify risks or ambiguities and discuss as appropriate with Client/Engineer to start developing a closer
working relationship and ‘level the playing field’.
• Liaising with other staff for support (Buying, Design, Contracts, QS, Senior Management).
• Liaising with Commercial and Procurement Departments during live contracts.
• Working with the selected designer on D & B contracts.
• Establish and actively promote working relationships between all departments, through effective
communication and ensuring Company procedures are followed.
• HNC in Civil Engineering or NVQ Level 6 in Construction
• Association of Cost Engineers professional membership (desirable)
• Driving license (desirable)
Skills and knowledge
• Impeccable communication skills as this role will involve extensive communication with colleagues and
stakeholders in the tender production
• Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes
• Work well under pressure and work flexibly to meet deadlines
• Ability to balance workload, prioritise and organise work
• Knowledge of compliance with health, safety and environmental legislation
• Effective influencing and communication skills
• A logical, organised and understanding individual who can deal with responsibility and make effective decisions
• Able to work at high concentration levels, under pressure and maintain quality standards
• Networking and building positive relationships
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience of estimating within a civil engineering company
• Minimum of 5 years site experience