My client is a water treatment company based in the South West and they are currently looking to recruit a Mechanical Design Engineer ideally from a Water Treatment background .
You will be responsible for:
• Co-ordinate the workload being undertaken by the M&E Design team
• Ensuring continuous project team communication i.e. delivering design as a team including Civils designer, contractor and supply chain – best fit
• Support the Design Project Manager with the preparation of design fee proposals and scheme programmes
• Support the Delivery Programme Manager with the response to RFIs and the review of detailed design deliverables as provided by the relevant M&E contractor
• Ensuring that the recommended solutions are sustainable and best value in terms of whole life costs
• The review and approval of mechanical design calculations and drawings as specified within the quality management system of an external consultant
• To scope and in some cases undertake, all surveys as necessary, involving third party contractors as appropriate (e.g. topographic surveys, pump tests, condition surveys)
• M&E equipment specification and in some instances, selection
• The preparation and approvals of outline and detailed design drawings (specifically Site Layouts, P&ID, SLD, Process Flow Diagram, Hazardous Areas)
• Ensure consideration of constructability issues
• Personally act as lead mechanical engineer, undertaking the outline and in some instances, the detailed design and construction support of specific projects
• Lead/input into the preparation of the Options/Outline Stage and Detailed Design Proposals Reports
• Prepare/input and in some instances, present the IMT/Board papers
• Make a timely response to technical queries and requests for information from stakeholders throughout the project lifecycle
• Prepare or oversee tenders for equipment and undertake tender appraisal
• Perform all duties (or ensure they are undertaken) incumbent on the designer under the CDM Regulations, including Hazard Identification and elimination / reduction.
• Present designs to stakeholders with sufficient skill to ensure approval of what may be controversial issues
• Liaise between different parties internally and externally to ensure design proceeds in an agreed direction with the necessary buy-in.
• Ensure design proceeds in line with budgetary and programme constraints and that the project management team are aware of state of progress in these regards.
• Act as mentor to the more junior members of the team and instill a can-do culture within the team to support cost-effective delivery and personal development
• Compliance with the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations.
The candidate will:
• B Eng (Hons)
• Hold or working towards Profession qualification status
• Experience of undertaking the feasibility, outline and detailed design of electrical, automation and control, as well as a understanding and capability in mechanical design to compliment your skills
• It is essential that you will have both the technical capability and substantial professional experience of working within a commercial and D&C environment.
• Have strong IT and communication skills