As an Energy Consultant in the team, you will work as part of a strong peer group from varying technical backgrounds and with complementary skills. You will be supported by senior consultants and a leadership team offering management, mentorship and strategic direction.
The role requires a sound understanding of challenges and solutions related to low carbon energy, climate change mitigation and/or adaptation. Guided by the specific skill set you bring, in this permanent post you may be involved with projects such as:
• Modelling of energy, emissions and/or climate risk to inform energy, climate change and sustainability strategies
• Undertaking technical consulting projects including energy masterplans and energy infrastructure feasibility studies.
• Analysing city data (quantitative/qualitative) and policy to advise on optimal planning and delivery of low carbon interventions
• Research and analysis of international climate change mitigation, adaptation and resilience action to develop robust evidence bases
• Modelling of costs, revenues and other benefits to develop an investment case for low carbon and climate resilient projects
• Analysis of evolving international and national climate policy to determine strategic and technical priorities for cities and urban actors
• Contributing to the development of integrated sustainability and resilience frameworks and tools
• Contributing to stakeholder engagement strategies, workshops and charrettes.
Your role will include:
• Preparing compelling client- and public-facing reports and tools
• Developing comprehensive strategies and policy recommendations
• Preparing and delivering presentations within Arup and to client teams
• Contributing to the design of approaches and methodologies, project proposals and bids
• Supporting the professional development of junior colleagues
• Coordinating client projects and partnerships.
• Contributing to the corporate sustainability of Arup as a firm.
Our work is global in scope and requires a strong appreciation of challenges and opportunities across geographic regions. There may be opportunities for international travel on a project basis.
Essential Skills & Knowledge
• A bachelor's or master’s university degree in an Engineering, Environmental Science or Planning discipline, with interests in energy, climate change and/or sustainability.
• Previous experience working in a relevant field of industry, consulting, or public or non-profit sector.
• Experience in at least two of: energy system modelling, energy masterplanning, greenhouse gas measurement/modelling, climate science, sustainability strategy/reporting, economic cost-benefit analysis.
• Experience of data analysis (quantitative/qualitative) or modelling
• Experience with writing technical and non-technical reports
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Strong team working skills
• Working towards chartership in a relevant professional institution.
Desired Skills & Knowledge
• Understanding of the principles of climate change and its relationship to the planning, design and operation of the built environment, especially in an urban context.
• Understanding of energy systems and technologies, including decentralised heat and power generation and distribution.
• Competency in modelling and computation using Excel or coding (Python, R, VBA, etc.)
• Experience of economic and cash flow analysis and development of business cases
• Knowledge of current UK and international climate and energy policy and legislation
• Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
• Experience in a client-facing role