Job Title: Design Manager (Gas Infrastructure)
Salary : £55 - £65k
The Design Manager will be responsible for all design and technical aspects across the Business Unit ensuring the design phase of projects is delivered on budget and to programme. This will entail effective management of external consultants together with the ability to communicate effectively with the wider Team and business partners including Contracts Managers, Project Managers and Engineering Manager. The Design Manager must ensure all schemes adopt the “best value” approach which seeks to minimise costs whilst maximising value.
• Lead the design work, liaising with Operations Lead, Project Managers and Commercial Manager to ensure technical function is effective and efficient on all live projects
• Managing civil, mechanical and EC&I design works
• Review alternative build methods and practices
• Keep up to date on new and innovative products
• Assist team in management and compilation of the overall project
• Along with the Project Manager develop, control and manage the project specific Design Programme which is part of broader Master Delivery Programme
• Liaise with the Client’s Project Teams to ensure the designs issued for planning applications are technically compliant with both statutory & Client design standards
• Manage and coordinate external consultants in their day to day duties related to design, coordination and technical aspects of production information and to ensure delivery within the constraints of time, quality, budget and technical requirements
• Organise and manage weekly, fortnightly or monthly technical coordination workshops, Package Reviews and Design Team Meetings
• Ensure translation of the conceptual scheme into an efficient and workable commercial solution
• Oversee document control with regards to registration and distribution of design and technical information
• Liaise with key personnel within the project team in preparation of project costing and design works
• Co-ordinate all technical information from start to completion of project. Work with Project Manager(s) to submit, manage and present the sign off of specific design issues and samples/mock-ups to the right project team
• Review tenders as part of the bid team to assess the quality of received information, identify value engineering opportunities, risks, collate consultants cost and prepare contractors proposals
• Review / Interrogate the consultants and sub-contractors drawings, and hold package review meetings with relevant site team members
• Keep the Contracts Manager appraised of all design and technical issues arising which may influence productivity and progress
• Constantly monitor all production information and consultant activities against budgetary allowances and report any variances
• Monitor and control all production information in close liaison with the project surveyor to ensure cost controls are kept and information produced is in line with the budget
• Ensure that the company's drive for world class Health and Safety is delivered in all aspects of your work
• Ensure that all aspects of the design are fully coordinated
• Monitor changes from Client, design consultants, subcontractors and proposed changes by construction team
• Manage the RFI and distribute to the relevant parties
• Participate in the collation and handover of completed design record e.g. O&M manuals, CDM Files etc.
What we need from you
Thrive within the company's values and culture of relentlessly striving to excellence through;
• Doing the right thing
• Raising the bar
• Positive attitude and energetic pace
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to make things happen – starter/finisher
• Tact and the ability to deal with difficult situations
• Ability to challenge the norm and look for alternative solutions (positive deviance)
• Ability to work under pressure and multi task
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Passionate to achieve exceptional standards for business and personal gain
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in the design and detailing of Gas Infrastructure projects. Knowledge of and experience working to National Grid / Cadent / SGN / NGN specifications and design procedures.
• Engineering degree in relevant discipline (typically civil or mechanical)
• Experience in Water Infrastructure projects would be advantageous but not essential.
• Knowledge and experience of BIM and associated software.
• Proven track record of successfully managing all aspects of the technical process.
• Management skills – staff, clients, commercial and programmes.
• Willing to travel.