- Deadline: 29.02.2024
My client is one of the UK’s leading independent infrastructure and property consultancies, specialising in environment, ecology, planning and sustainability. Their work portfolio includes: Support for HS2, Crossrail and Transport for London; iconic large scale property developments and urban regeneration schemes such as Barking Riverside and consents support for the construction delivery of Euston Station. Due to their expansion plans they are currently recruiting for a Commercial Director located in London. The pay rate for this role is £85,000 - £95,000.
The Commercial Director will report to the Main Board and be responsible for the recently formed Project Management Office (PMO). They will be responsible for ensuring the effective and efficient management of the commercial elements of the business, focused on service-related commercial strategies (including for key framework and strategic bids), project finances, contract terms, contract administration and the commercial success of the business through the proactive direction, control and reporting on commercial risk and opportunities (project and business). This will be in accordance with the strategy and business plans agreed by the CEO and Temple’s Main Board to ensure that business goals and objectives are met.
Assisting the Board in setting goals that promote company success, growth and high performance, the Commercial Director (working closely with the Financial Controller and the Finance & Accounts Team) will identify improvement areas and develop and implement plans, systems and commercial strategies to boost the commercial awareness of Temple’s delivery team, improve project profitability, and accelerate revenue growth.
The Commercial Director will work closely with the CEO to manage risk and return with the goal of maximising shareholder value within a three-to-five-year timeframe. They will provide advice and support to help senior executives make key decisions. They will assist in negotiations with suppliers and clients to maximise value and protect Temple’s interests. The Commercial Director will also help the CEO drive the right culture, values and behaviour aligned to being a leading Ethical and Sustainable business.
The Commercial Director must build and maintain the confidence and trust of key stakeholders i.e. Chairperson, Shareholders, business partners, Board members and the senior leadership team at all times.
A key element of the role will also be external facing, developing and maintaining strong relationships with commercial and contract teams within key client and partner organisations. Identifying opportunities to expand business through mergers, partnerships and new markets.
The Commercial Director role will include but not be limited to:
- Advising the Main Board on all commercial risk, including the monitoring and managing of this risk within the business and the identification of disproportionate, abnormal and unacceptable risk.
- Assessing, developing, monitoring and advising on investment plans and levels of return on investment associated with growth initiatives.
- Working alongside other members of the business on commercial strategies, contract administration and business cases.
- Analysing the commercial performance of the business with a focus on contract value maximisation, project profitability and full cost recovery.
- Interpreting market trends and advising the Company Board of implications and adapting to industry changes.
- Translating the company’s strategic plans into defined commercial plans and targets.
- Identifying opportunities to improve business processes and systems to increase commercial awareness and success.
- Implementing new commercial strategies and ensuring Divisions and Business Units follow industry best practice.
- Defining project delivery KPI’s to monitor progress and success against commercial objectives and targets, and to provide insights into opportunities for improvement.
- Leading on the commercial review, negotiation and sign-off of contracts and legal documents.
- Taking the lead on commercial disputes and legal compliance issues.
- Review and oversight of commercial relationships with key clients and suppliers.
- Overseeing the appropriate review and administration of all commercial contracts and terms.
- Taking ownership of the resourcing model to ensure effective and efficient use of staff and working alongside the Divisional and Business Unit leads and Project Managers/Directors to deliver this.
- Reporting to the Temple’s Operation and Main Board on project performance and commercial activities.
- Leading and motivating a high performing project management team and providing relevant training (in-house or via external parties) and mentoring as relevant.
- Establishing and embedding a strong, appropriate and commercially aware culture.
- Proven experience as a Commercial Director or similar senior management role, operating at the Company Board level.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in negotiation and administering different forms of contract (particular NEC) including effective dispute resolution.
- Strong experience in identifying commercially attractive opportunities and solutions and building new commercial concepts and models, according to company goals and objectives to accelerate growth.
- Outstanding track record in improving project profitability and commercial performance of a business in a consultancy environment
- Solid knowledge of performance reporting and financial/budgeting processes.
- Experience in setting up and managing a PMO or equivalent
- Significant commercial experience of developing customer and supplier relationships.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with 15 years plus relevant experience.