Network Rail is calling up firms for a market engagement briefing ahead of the start of tendering for the next £1bn next phases of the Midland Mainline Electrification programme.
This phase 3 of the total works programme will cover a 139km stretch of the line from South Wigston – Sheffield and is a continuation of the completed London to Corby electrification.
It will involve delivering works for the overhead line equipment extension to Sheffield and Nottingham, route clearance to accommodate OLE extension, and increased power supply to support electric passenger services to Sheffield and Nottingham.
Part of the electrification programme has already been procured with contractor SPL delivering electrification between Kettering and South Wigston.
Rail infrastructure chiefs plan to set out the latest thinking for the project before inviting tenders for works at the end of this year.
Network Rail will also be canvassing for ideas on the most efficient delivery method to avoid cost overruns that dogged previous electrification projects.
The next stage of procurement for the Midland Main Line Electrification programme is split into seven routes and includes over 67 structures.
• Route Section 2 (RS2) – Wigston South to Syston 19.5km
• Route Section 3 (RS3) – Syston to Trent Junction 28.7km
• Route Section 4 (RS4) – Sheet Stores Junction to Chaddesden Sidings (Derby) 15.7km
• Route Section 5 (RS5) – Trent Junction to Nottingham 13.1km
• Route Section 6 (RS6) – Chaddesden Sidings (Derby) to Toadmoor Tunnel 16.7km
• Route Section 7 (RS7) – Toadmoor Tunnel to London Road 43.3km
• Route Section 8 (RS8) – London Road to Sheffield North 2.5km
Network Rail holding a Midland Main Line electrification market engagement briefing event at Pride Park Stadium, Derby and online as an MS Teams live event on 15th June 2022 at 10:00 and 13:00.
Read more here
To view latest railways vacancies please visit