Our government client is currently looking for a Lead Developer for a 6 months contract at £700pd inside IR35.
Contract Length: 6 months from SD
Location: Bristol, London or Manchester - hybrid working - 1 to 2 days in the office.
Pay Rate to Candidate: £700
Our Lead Developers each have responsibility for owning and overseeing the technical work across multiple teams within the Digital Identity programme, within specific delivery areas. Examples of those areas include our Authentication and Identity streams of work. We are looking for Lead Developers for some of our other streams of work which are at various stages between discovery and production.
You’ll be responsible for technical delivery within your area, sitting between delivery teams and programme leadership. A lot of our development is greenfield and we are working at pace towards our delivery milestones. We have an expectation of high quality code and automated testing. Work is delivered in line with programme goals and delivery cycles. You’ll thrive using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively, and across multidisciplinary teams focused on one or more projects. Above all, you’ll want to make government better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo.
You will balance delivery towards our goals and operating a stable service, managing and, where prioritised, working with teams on addressing/engineering away operational work, technical debt, and toil.
This role is primarily one of leadership and will not have a dedicated element of hands-on development. From time to time, as required, it may be beneficial to pair/mob program but you should expect that to be ad-hoc rather than regular.
As a Lead Developer in GDS you will:
● Together with the Head of Technology, Head of Architecture, Lead Developers, Lead SREs, and Technical Architects, provide technical leadership to a large and growing team of developers and technologists
● Have overall technical responsibility for an area of work that is being delivered by multiple teams
● Provide technical leadership across the Digital Identity programme, wider GDS, and government
● Lead by example, be a visible leader who takes responsibility and role models behaviours
● Optimise processes and delivery to identify and remove toil and drag factors on teams (e.g. slow CI, manual processes, etc)
● Work in partnership across the programme as we define and deliver the architecture of our new service; bringing practical considerations to high level designs
● Ensure delivery is aligned with the GDS Way and working across GDS to keep that up to date
● Capacity plan within your area, recruiting civil servant and interim technologists
● Work with security and cyber colleagues to deliver secure and operational services
● Continuously upskill and develop the skills of civil servants
● Be responsible for code quality within your area and the wider programme
● Work in a multidisciplinary way at Lead level, complementary to our multidisciplinary teams
● Be aware of the impacts of your work on accessibility and inclusion
● Help manage our programme wide 2nd line and out of hours rotas where all technologists on the programme support our operational services and gain awareness and empathy of users and operational concerns
To succeed in this role you’ll:
● Have experience in technical leadership across multiple teams
● Be able to work at a mixture of various product stages - greenfield, maturing greenfield into operational services, and also existing established live services
● Bring an operational mindset to all stages of development
● Be able to work effectively at a senior level across a large programme of work and within GDS
● Have experience line managing, coaching and mentoring
● Have experience in development and operations of large scale web services
● Have experience building microservice or serverless applications and/or running applications in the cloud
● Understand software design principles
● Be able to rapidly research and learn new tools, techniques, and paradigms
● Take a practical and systematic approach to solving problems
● Have experience of using testing/prototyping/discovery to validate ideas
● Have experience of working and iterating processes in agile environments
● Have a good understanding of security in operational services from end to end
● Be conscious and considerate about accessibility and inclusion
● Enable pragmatic choices of technologies e.g buy/run/build
● Deliver and iterate practices such as TDD, continuous integration, continuous delivery and DevOps methodologies