Our public sector client is currently recruiting for a Lead Delivery Manager, on a 6 months contract paying £715 p/d within IR35.
Role: Lead Delivery Manager
Contract Length: 6 months
Location: Remote working
IR35: In scope
Pay Rate to Candidate: £715 Umbrella
Security Clearance: BPSS
Interview Process: MS Teams
Need experience in Agile and best practices – Experience managing changes across product delivery
teams and suppliers – Need to be a self-starter
About this role:
COVID-19 Digital Testing is a very high-profile program delivering products and change that are pivotal to the management of COVID-19 across the United Kingdom
The program is delivering digital capability for COVID-19 antigen and antibody testing along with the associated data analysis and service management.
Projects are currently focused on hardening the service, mass testing and scaling of these capabilities, as well as managing an evolving backlog of new requirements.
Delivery Managers use their knowledge and experience in agile and lean practices to create the right environment for effective delivery. A Lead Delivery Manager will motivate their team to continually learn, improve and innovate, whilst providing coaching, guidance and practical advice.
They are responsible for ensuring that their delivery team or teams are adopting and applying the most appropriate lean and agile techniques and performing effectively. They will help embed agile tools and techniques, can use the most relevant tools and techniques as needed, and will be experienced in creating lasting transformation towards agile & lean ways of working and scaling multiple user-centred design and software development teams to deliver efficiently.
Working closely with Senior Product Managers, they are responsible for the planning and direction of their area of work. The Lead Delivery Manager will ensure there is effective coordination of the delivery teams, and the products and services that they deliver, and that their interdependencies are managed, including managing third party contributions e.g. 3rd party contracted suppliers and service providers. Values and Behaviours
People Focused: You value and promote positive relationships with colleagues, customers and the public and are responsive to their needs.
Trustworthy: You act with integrity, impartiality and openness and in the best interests of the public.
Professional: You deliver on your commitments by applying the highest levels of expertise, conduct and personal responsibility.
Innovative: You actively embrace change and bring new ideas to deliver excellent services for your customers and better outcomes for the public.
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
- Advanced in-depth professional knowledge in several disciplines e.g., financial management, performance management, information systems, staff management acquired through training and experience over an extended period.
- Extensive expert knowledge of agile and lean project and program management practices, tools, and techniques
- Specialist experience of working with design and/or development techniques for digital services - including methodologies (design & user research) / platforms (web, iOS, Chrome) / tools / environments / languages / technologies
- Advanced professional knowledge of traditional project, programme and product management methods and techniques (e.g., PRINCE2)
- Advanced knowledge of the political and cultural aspects of delivering change across complex organisations
- In depth understanding of the health strategy and policy at a national and local level and ability to plan to take account of these strategies
- A deep and broad understanding of the culture and climate of the wider health and social care environment
- Detailed understanding of the Agile Governance principles
- Knowledge of management - able to demonstrate knowledge of management. Topics include, Leadership and Change Management, organisational development, managing multidisciplinary teams etc. Knowledge of government digital service standards
- Expert level experience of:
- Using clear, open and transparent frameworks with a complex delivery team (such as Kanban, Lean, Scrum, Scrumban, Feature driven development or Spotify agile) and blending them depending on the context.
- Measuring, evaluating, managing and visualizing outcomes in being agile and recognised as an expert with ability to coach team(s) by continuously reflecting and challenging them.
- Facilitating collaborative workshops, delivering and facilitating presentations (e.g. show and tells) to groups, often communicating and eliciting complex information with minimal preparation time.
- Creating an open and collaborative environment for multiple delivery teams to work in, be flexible, adaptable and for them to all have a willingness to learn.
- The phases of group development (forming, storming, norming, performing) and understanding of psychology of team(s).
- Using continuous mentoring approaches and experience of enabling a team to share skill sets across a complex team and/or a portfolio of teams.
- Providing and facilitating feedback to individuals and teams (post-incident reviews, quality reviews, retrospectives, 360 team evaluations, health checks, team awards). Experience of choosing the right type at the appropriate time and ensuring the discussion and decision sticks.
- Using data to forecast and continually plan through sprints and delivery phases (expert use of burndown data, cycle time, cumulative flow, velocity, card counts, resolution rates, planned absence, upstream comms)
- Scheduling and sequencing activity to continually optimise flow (through peaks and troughs in demand) and critical paths to delivery, setting appropriate milestones and review points (use of techniques such as timeboxes, WIP limits, swarming strategies) within a complex team and/or portfolio of teams.
- Actively addressing complex risks, issues and dependencies, including those where no clear ownership exists and often identifying innovative ways to unblock issues. Ability to make and justify contentious and risky decisions related to delivery.
- Expert level experience of supporting and providing guidance on administration processes and policies (such as travel, external room booking, expenses, annual leave)
- Recognising appropriate deliverables and risks. Experience of identifying tools and techniques to successfully lead teams through the full product lifecycle.
- Developing sustainable support models.
- Practitioner level experience of:
- Resetting and pivoting team activities based on changes (such as strategic directions)
- Facilitating research, design and development practices (such as pairing, rapid prototyping, research techniques, code reviews, task branching, continuous integration and regular release cadences). Ability to streamline practices to make them efficient across a portfolio of products.
- Setting and iterating delivery patterns across a scaled portfolio (involvement in Scrum of scums, planning increments)
- Helping guide related teams and/or a portfolio through the implementation of a new process.
- Detailed understanding of the Health and Social Care IT sector and its supporting IT strategies.
- Detailed knowledge of the internal framework for project and programme delivery.
- Excellent knowledge of methods to lead the development of professional delivery management capability across a portfolio or organisation
- Detailed knowledge of software development, service design, research and design techniques and methodologies.
- Practitioner level understanding of security, privacy and common standards (e.g. APIs, design components, clinical safety)
- Knowledge of Health and Social Care and the NHS