As a Senior Service Designer, the candidate will be part of a multi-disciplinary team. The candidate will work alongside other Designers, Front End Developers, Researchers and Software Engineers. The candidate will be expected to deliver world class services designed for the people who use them, in line with the government Digital Service Standard.
As a Service Designer you will be expected to engage with policy experts, product owners and product team to design the end-to-end journey which may involve the creation of, or change to, transactions, products and content across both digital and offline channels provided by different parts of government.
As a Senior Service Designer, the candidate will be expected to:
• Specialise in designing interactions and interfaces for digital services
• Work on all levels of the service, from high-level flows and journeys to the fine detail of individual parts
• Work with different types of content and user-led interactions
• Work across digital and non-digital channels
• Focus on making working software rather than creating artefacts to describe software
• Understand the technical side of design
• Understand user needs and design services that meet them
• Support discussions at a senior departmental level
• Design user-centred solutions and transaction flows
• Support in an Interaction Design capacity when needed
• Create and rapidly iterate prototypes to help the wider team learn about user needs for different scenarios or tasks
• Work with product owners, other designers, user researchers, business analysts and front-end developers to turn concepts into user-centred services
• Make sure the design of services is consistent internally and with the rest of GOV.UK
• Take responsibility for creating and keeping up a positive and collaborative working environment
• Help promote best practice
• Share specialist knowledge and experience with others in the team
• Play a supporting role in recruiting for the Clients Digital Product design community
• Share work and ideas inside and outside the department for example by representing the clients Digital design community at events
• Manage other people’s work
• Contribute to building a digital culture in the Department
• Play an active part in the Product Design community
• At least 2 to 3 years experience as a Service Designer or Systems Thinker.
• Experience solving design and research challenges through collaboration and user participation.
• The ability to translate research insight into opportunities and solutions for service users via the application of design research methods e.g. user journeys, services mapping, prototyping etc.
• Ability to develop hands on interaction design solutions for the products that enable the service
• A diverse set of methods & tools that allow them to illustrate the opportunities to improve specific service components and touch-points.
• Appreciation for and demonstrated ability to connect design solutions to pragmatic implementation
• A belief that a focus on people is fundamental in creating inclusive policies, products and services for social impact.
• Have a design-related degree or experience on a product, interaction or UX design role.
• Define elements – layout, design patterns, controls and actions
Ideally the candidate will also:
• Have experience of working directly with front-end code to update prototypes – skills in HTML, CSS and java script aren’t essential, but all our designers learn the basics
• Be able to write for user interfaces
• Have demonstrable experience of collaborating on designs with a software engineer
• Have demonstrable experience of working in technical teams in complex environments
• Be able to manage other people’s work, including planning work and checking it to make sure it’s consistent and appropriate across products and services