UK, Central London,
Westminster, New Scotland Yard
- to £633 per day
- Contract , 6 months
- Full time
- Industry: Government
- Discipline: Public Sector,Project Management,PRINCE2
Working within National Counter Terrorism Policing Headquarters (NCTPHQ), the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for the successful delivery of specific project(s) within the national and/or London Counter Terrorism, Domestic Extremism and Protective Security (CT/DE & PS) change portfolio. The Senior Project Manager will be directly accountable to and line managed by a NCTPHQ Programme Manager, and work flexibly across the change portfolio, deployed on specific change project(s) as requested by their Programme Manager. The post holder may therefore work on multiple change projects at any time depending on the scale of change.
The post holder may work on business change project delivery across the national CT/DE/PS policing network.
There are currently 6 Senior Project Manager vacancies across the Change Pillar and projects.
When deployed on national or London CT & PS change project(s), the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for delivering the project through the NCPTHQ defined project lifecycle, depending upon the complexity of the project. They will need to be able to work with and task various project roles across the project team to deliver the expected outputs within the defined time/quality/cost parameters. The role will be supported by a dedicated Programme Management Office, to draw additional PPM skills as required in reporting, risks and issues and planning.
The Senior Project Manager will work closely with their Project Executives, and will directly line manage a Project Manager. In time of high demand, the Senior Project Manager may work with external contractors to support work demands.
The Senior Project Manager will take a proactive role in recognising where intervention is required to enable successful delivery of their change project(s). They will provide expertise in the delivery of project management methodology and work with relevant operational stakeholders to ensure joined up and effective delivery. The postholder will identify key issues and work in partnership to resolve them.
The Senior Project Manager will ensure implementation of project management processes and standards.
Key Result Area
Key responsibilities for the Senior Project Manager are:
• Establish & maintain project(s) in line with their objectives supporting the development of implementation as required.
• Delivery of project plans according to PPM standards and preparation of relevant project documents at each stage, on behalf of the Project Executive and in conjunction with stakeholders.
• To ensure the project(s) within direct responsibility maintain a defined standard of PPM maturity, as directed by the Portfolio Office.
• Ensure the project is managed within the approved governance and in line with the protocols set out by the Portfolio Management Office, and ensure timely decision making.
• Develop and manage a plan to identify and engage with stakeholders to ensure their commitment to successful delivery of the project.
• Ensure that appropriate level and mix of resources to enable project delivery are identified and managed. Manage relevant budgets and assets deployed on behalf of the Project Executive/Programme Manager, including preparation and assessment of business cases within the protocols set out by the Portfolio Management Office.
• Ensure that benefits management is an integral part of the delivery and work with the Benefits Management & Business Change Manager (and their team) to ensure that benefits are identified, planned and measured and that there is a clear understanding of impact on the business, ensuring that the business impact is properly managed.
• Monitor overall progress of the project in line with the plan and report progress and escalate exceptions where required.
• Develop and implement an active risk and issue management approach in line with the protocols set out by the Portfolio Management Office.
• Ensure the delivery of new capability in line with time, cost and quality statements in accordance with the project plan. Take appropriate action where necessary to ensure projects are kept on track.
• Ensure that interdependencies within the same and other projects/programmes are proactively identified and managed.
• Management of staff: undertaking all relevant line management activities (e.g. performance management and review, attendance management); providing leadership, advice and support to direct reports; develop individuals and staff to establish a highly performing team and therefore the successful delivery of performance objectives.
• Ability to produce high-quality project documentation.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written including stakeholder engagement skills.
• Able to successfully negotiate to influence and persuade senior stakeholders.
• Excellent facilitation skills.
• Self-starter, confident and capable of working both independently and collaboratively to tight deadlines with plenty of initiative.
• Analytical and problem solving skills required to troubleshoot projects and delivered within agreed limits.
• Highly organised and able to meet demanding deadlines in a pressured environment.
• Strong IT skills in the use of Microsoft Products, including project management software (e.g. Microsoft Project).
• Capable of working within a mixed environment of internal (police, contractors) and external (consultants) teams and comfortable at managing intra-project relationships.
Experience & Knowledge
• Experience of working within a project and programme management environment.
• Knowledge of, or direct experience in, applying programme and project management approaches such as MSP and PRINCE2.
• Experience in managing complex projects, within a dynamic environment, & use of formal system(s).
• Experience and knowledge of applying project planning and risk & issue management.
• Experience in business case development and assessment, planning and the application of good practice processes.
• Knowledge of change management.
• Knowledge of financial planning & benefits realisation.
• Some projects may require experience in a technical/ICT environment. Please indicate if this applicable.
Desirable Experience & Knowledge
• Management of 3rd party suppliers in the delivery of a project.
• Working in collaboration with partner organisations.
• Previous experience of working in (local) government, a security agency or policing is desirable.
• Essential: PRINCE2: Practitioner (or recognised industry equivalent qualification).
• Desirable: Managing Successful Programmes: Foundation (or recognised industry equivalent qualification).
• Minimum SC Clearance. Candidates must be prepared to go through the clearance process if not currently cleared. Some roles may require candidates to go through DV Clearance.
• Some candidates may be required to be STRAP cleared (upon taking up the post).
- Quote ref: 996266/26050