Principal Engineer - Renewable Energy
- Deadline: 07.03.2024
Our client is a UK wide engineering consultancy and they are looking for a Principal Engineer to join their rapidly expanding renewable energy team in Belfast.
You will be responsible for undertaking a technical role on projects within their energy business; typically, their projects are associated with the generation, storage, transmission and distribution of energy both in the UK and Ireland and countries throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA).
Projects include all stages of design from feasibility to detailed design and site construction supervision both in Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and internationally. Their clients are a mix between large energy utility generators to private developers.
Successful candidates will be deployed to work on different projects, depending on their specific area of engineering expertise, and will include providing support for the following types of technologies:
- On and offshore wind
- Solar PV
- Hydroelectric – run of river and pumped storage
- Grid connection works – cable route and substation civil
- Hydrogen production and storage
- Battery energy storage systems (BESS)
As a Principal Engineer, you will be required to:
- Liaise with clients, manage project work on a day to day basis and ensure that the work is delivered within the agreed timescale and budgets;
- Co-ordinate multi-disciplinary design of renewable energy infrastructure;
- Respond to technical queries raised by the Site Team;
- Act as lead verifier on reports including technical feasibility studies and design reports (depending on core engineering discipline); and
- Direct junior members of staff and mentor graduate engineers.
Ideally you will have a background in the energy sector and in particular renewable energy systems. The role is a technical role and you will be expected to demonstrate a high degree of technical competency.
- BEng (Hons) degree in Engineering (Civil, Electrical or Mechanical)
- Chartered status or actively working towards chartership
Candidates with general engineering experience (Civil, Electrical or Mechanical) within the energy market would be preferable, however, not critical. Specific areas of experience which would be beneficial include the following:
- Medium and high voltage grid connection works, including cable routing and specific experience with National Grid.
- Hydroelectric design – both run of river and pumped storage.
- Onshore wind – ideally with recent onsite experience, including projects with turbines >180m tip height.
- Offshore wind.