Assistant Electrical Engineer
Quote ref: 1061/79572
Our client is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, project management and building services consultancies. They have an opening for an Assistant Electrical Engineer to join their growing team on a permanent basis and to help support their increasing portfolio and workload. They have openings across their offices in Epsom, London, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Warrington, Leeds and Glasgow and are presenting the opportunity to join their national delivery team and work with designers all across the UK.
This role is an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Electrical Design Engineer to further develop their career. The role will require client-facing candidates as well as being involved in day-to-day design of projects.
Some of the main responsibilities for this role include:
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs.
- Design and specification of all Electrical Building Services systems - power, earthing, lighting, life safety, telecoms, security, access control, lifts, lightning protection etc.
- Carry out the production of detailed calculations using industry standard software tools including Excel, Amtech, Dialux/Relux, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS.
- Collaborate with their BIM team to prepare models and drawings, with a working understanding of Autodesk Revit – note experience of Microstation (& AECOsim) could be beneficial.
- Representing our Client at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works.
- Report and technical note writing.
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards.
- Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes.
- Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly and working to time allocations.
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings.
- Reviewing progress, including reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the project lead.
- Assist with technical development of junior staff.
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related subjects.
- Chartered Engineer (or working towards CEng) with CIBSE or IET.
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools including Amtech/Prodesign, Dialux/Relux, NBS and Microsoft packages. Any HV tools will also be beneficial.
- Aware of energy reduction methods and approaches to decarbonising new and existing buildings.
- Some knowledge of energy and carbon related data capture and analytics.
- Awareness of the principles of building physics such as passive design solutions and fabric first approaches.
- Some awareness of designing for measurement and verification, including experience of commissioning and post installation evaluation of performance.
- Experience of working in a design consultancy and/or some experience of working within a contractor design environment is beneficial.
- Good knowledge of appropriate technical standards.
- Able to take charge of personal project deliverables, make decisions on developing the discipline design elements, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with clients will be useful.
- Comfortable working within time and cost budgets as agreed at project briefing meetings.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time, in order to maintain flexibility in the organisation.