Temporary Works Designer
- Deadline: 28.02.2024
Our client is a water and civil engineering contractor with many years’ experience delivering world class projects across the UK and they are currently looking to recruit a Temporary Works Designer located in London.
Reporting to the Senior Temporary Works Engineer the temporary works designer will work in the design team carrying out detailed design and checking of temporary works and minor permanent works for civil engineering. They will provide technical support to assist with the company’s operational activities for their projects across the UK. The role is based in Blackfriars but as they provide national coverage there will be occasional travel throughout the UK to company projects & sites.
Some of the key responsibilities for this role include:
• Preparation and checking of detailed technical designs (including calculations, drawings, risk assessments and design certificates) for our client's projects.
• Undertaking preliminary designs for pricing - obtaining independent checks and/or third-party technical approvals (e.g., Independent CAT 3 checks and/or Form A, Form B and AFC for rail works).
• Ensuring design outputs meet CDM 2015 / health & safety compliance.
• Providing technical information/advice to site teams regarding temporary works.
• Proposing and/or developing value-engineered alternative solutions (during design and construction phases).
• Assisting with both maintaining and developing processes, procedures, and standards for technical design.
• Obtaining or providing pricing for estimating purposes.
Key Measures & Targets:
• Deliver the required services on time/cost/quality.
• Contribute wherever possible to enable the company to meet CDM 2015 / health & safety targets.
• Contribute wherever possible to enable the company to meet environmental targets.
• Design & Engineering team and other technical staff.
• Project-based staff including Contracts Managers, Project Managers,
• Degree in civil engineering or equivalent
• Current relevant CSCS card.
• Incorporated/chartered with a relevant professional institution (or working towards achieving such a qualification).
• Thorough knowledge of engineering management, construction processes and technical design.
• Good team worker but able to exercise own judgement.
• Able to work independently and manage own time/tasks.
• Effective communicator and able to assert their own view.
• Able to coach others.
• Able to identify risks and opportunities - Able to think laterally but remain critically objective in evaluating alternatives.
• Minimum 3 years of experience; preferably with a mix of site and design office.
• Experience in the Water, Rail, and Power sectors - Experience in the detailed design of permanent and temporary works including the use of CAD - Working knowledge of relevant industry specifications (CESWI, Network Rail, Highways, Building Regulations).
• Experience in obtaining third-party technical approval of proposals.