MEICA Estimator/Proposals Engineer
- Deadline: 28.02.2024
Our client is a water and civil engineering contractor with many years’ experience delivering world class projects across the UK and they are currently looking to recruit a MEICA Estimator/Proposals Engineer in Hertfordshire or Walsall.
As a MEICA Estimator & Proposals Engineer, you will be responsible for developing estimates and tenders for their MEICA-related projects. To include the successful development of the project as it drives through the estimating and tendering process through to contract award and continue to advise through the progress of the project.
The tendering of MEICA projects and its strategy will be set by the MEICA Director in line with the MEICA business plan contributing to project time, cost, programme & safety while understanding and in agreement with the client’s project requirements.
You will be a key link and part of an integral team bringing skills and experience, working closely with the MEICA Director and Project Manager, to meet the project requirements in a safe, time and cost-effective manner.
As MEICA Estimator & Proposal Engineer, you will be expected to contribute fully to the growth of the MEICA business within the Group. This will/may involve you getting into the finite details of the project and driving value and contribution at all levels as well as supporting your Project Managers, Project Engineers, and the commercial team by carrying out duties to ensure the success of the project, business, and client deadlines.
- Experience of MEICA equipment and services used in the construction of Water and Wastewater Treatment Works is preferable.
- Working with the MEICA project & their civils team, effectively managing the tender pricing process including tender appraisals
- Ensure designs are checked and verified and can sufficiently be developed to ensure accurate tender submissions.
- Ensure estimating & tender procedures and governance as well as all levels of due diligence are checked before tender adjudication.
- Preparing material, equipment, and sub-contract enquiries.
- Production of the MEICA cost estimate for tender submission.
- Risk and value management during the tender period.
- Preparing budgets and cost plans.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Meeting and exceeding their MEICA and client expectations at every step of the project lifecycle.
- Contributing to and achieving all business unit and their MEICA KPIs & KPMs focusing on developing and estimating a series of target costs.
- Developing the scope of work for the project with the MEICA team.
- Producing bottom-up estimates derived from the client scope & technical information.
- Assisting in the production of estimating & tender stage programmes to support their tender submissions.
- Collating and issuing technical enquiries to their trusted supply chain partners, evaluating their tender returns for compilation into the tender.
- Updating target costs also ensures that actual cost data is captured.
- Promote the use of innovative methods, materials & safe systems of work.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with senior management, designers, consultants, clients, and project teams on all relevant technical matters.
- Ensure they adopt and maintain a world-class differential standard on their projects which rival their competitors.
- Management of their selected contractors ensuring quality of delivery and value for money in all tender submissions.
- Be the key point of contact between the project and the programme.
- Manage stakeholder communications and key messages for the project.
- Ensuring client specifications and requirements are met by reviewing progress and liaising with the their MEICA and project team.
- Promoting and maintaining health & safety on all projects with the Project Manager and their teams whilst dealing with any day-to-day unexpected problems during the project, reporting this to the MEICA Director when required.
- MEICA Director, Regional Managers, Contracts Managers, Project Managers, Project Engineers, Project Planner & their MEICA Technical Team.
- Site Agents and Site team.
- Fully understand the complexities of MEICA equipment and systems holding the ability to communicate effectively with the wider Estimating team.
- Significant practical experience with MEICA equipment, plant, and the industry supply chain.
- Ability to evaluate proposals from the supply chain for MEICA equipment including scope of supply, technical compliance, and commercial offer.
- Ability to interpret technical drawings from clients, develop baseline cost estimates and routines, and produce labour, plant, and material cost build-ups.
- Excellent communication skills harnessing the ability to effectively manage their MEICA team, 3rd parties and their MEICA & Civil clients.
- Ability to work not only on your initiative but also as part of a team to coordinate project-related activities with clients’ consultants and 3rd
- Good organisational skills.
- Methodical approach with a clear focus on client, customer, and quality.
- Able to prioritise a varied workload and demonstrate good time management to comply with deadlines.
- A level, or equivalent (foundation degree HND, HNC).
- Experience in estimating in the Water and wastewater industry.
- MEICA (mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, control, and automation) installation/commissioning knowledge as well as technical construction knowledge.
- Experience in estimating software such as Conquest, Candy & CESMM etc.
- Experience with multiple forms of contracts as well as the operation of frameworks within the Water and wastewater industry.
- To have previously operated in a similar position around the estimating disciplines of MEICA, as a Mechanical or Electrical Estimator / Proposals Engineer.
- SMSTS/SSSTS qualification (Desirable).
- CSCS card qualification (Desirable).
- First Aid qualification (Desirable).
- 5-day SMSTS (Desirable).
- WIMES Standards familiarisation.
- Experience working within the utilities industry, especially Water and wastewater.
- Strong communication skills – both written and oral.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office package.
- Thames Water Safety Passport (desirable).
- EUSR Water Hygiene card (desirable).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office package.