- Deadline: 28.02.2024
Our client is a water and civil engineering contractor with many years’ experience delivering world class projects across the UK and they are currently looking to recruit a Design Manager located in St Albans, Hertfordshire.
Deliver technical solutions in response to the needs of the company’s programme of work. Take responsibility for the technical compliance, quality and appropriateness of solutions delivered.
Lead design consultants and multi-discipline engineering teams to deliver the design solutions to schedule and budget.
Support the project delivery teams by managing the development of concept, and detailed design solutions based on client and site-specific requirements for water and wastewater infrastructure and non-infrastructure projects
Ensure timely delivery of technical solutions in response to the needs of the project schedule and the company’s programme of work.
- Take ownership and accountability for the technical appropriateness of the project solutions delivered throughout the project life cycle.
- Ensure design work complies with the client and statutory standards, regulations, and specifications, including effective discharge of Principal Designer duties under CDM 2015, where relevant.
- Promotion of safety, environmental best practice, and sustainability, through design.
- Produce design plans and briefs. Manage the agreed contract with external design consultants ensuring that duties are discharged under the contract and if not, that appropriate action is taken.
- Manage the development and delivery of appropriate, robust, reliable, operable, and maintainable asset designs that meet the project objectives.
- Management of multi-discipline teams of Engineers from within the business, consultants, and partner companies in the production of project solutions to the required level of design.
- Support Estimators and the Project Manager to produce and manage the design and budget schedule.
- Implement change control processes to track and manage the development of the Engineering element of a project to ensure all budgetary, programme and scope changes are correctly managed.
- Ensure that all engineering outputs provided are following Health and Safety Legislation, documented Business Processes, Quality Management Systems & best practices e.g., checked and verified: calculations, drawings, specifications, and compliance with appropriate standards.
- Evaluate designs and solutions.
- Lead internal and external design reviews.
- Manage and ensure compliance of designs with external assurance, governance and review processes, including production of relevant deliverables.
- Support supply chain selection for specialists’ input on the design.
- Collaboration with other technical, operational, maintenance, and strategic stakeholders, and design coordinators.
- Liaison with Engineering Managers, Project Managers and consultants concerning project issues, scope changes, risks etc.
- Temporary Works: Understanding of what encompasses Temporary Works and the supporting engineering, understanding of the types of temporary works designs available and what responsibilities the associated roles (designer/coordinator/contractor) have and engagement of internal and external temporary works designers.
Audit and Governance:
- Ensure their Code of Conduct is thoroughly understood, adhered to, and promoted across the business to ensure safe, compliant, and consistent working practices.
- To operate in an open- and even-handed manner with all personnel across the business.
- Treat all who they interact with, with courtesy and respect, treating everyone equally and embracing differences.
- Encourage everyone to achieve maximum potential.
- To proactively contribute to teamwork and cross-functional working.
- To listen to each other and share knowledge enables them to willingly combine expertise across the business and with their clients and supply chain.
- Behaving with integrity and always demonstrating a professional image.
- To take personal responsibility & accountability for actions, constantly striving to improve and exceed expectations ensuring safety and quality are never compromised/
- Regional Managers, Contracts Managers, and Project Managers
- Site Agents and Site team
- Regional HSEQ team
- Quality and Technical Assurance Manager
- Communication team
- Internal and external designers
- Minimum 10 years of design and management experience
- Experience in the management of design of water and wastewater infrastructure, including MEICA installations
- Working knowledge of Building Information Modelling (BIM) and common data environments
- Degree/HNC qualified, or equivalent, in civil engineering
- Member of a recognized engineering professional body, Incorporated Engineer, or Charter Engineer and or working towards membership
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to liaise effectively with both clients and staff
- Self-driven and results-oriented with a positive outlook
- People management, time management, project design management