Senior Electrical Design Engineer
Quote ref: 1061/78865
Our client is a well-established building services consultancy who is currently looking for an experienced Senior Electrical Building Services Engineer to join their growing team on a permanent basis to support the delivery of numerous projects all across the UK and internationally. This role is for a Senior Electrical Design Engineer based in Birmingham, however this role is flexible working and can be based in any of their UK offices.
This role will involve working across various sectors with the focus on Energy and Carbon. Our client wants to improve awareness of and focus on the importance of decarbonising the built environment, improving air quality and implementing energy efficient design solutions,
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, you will combine client-facing responsibilities with taking on a lead role in the day-to-day design and management of projects. It is an exciting opportunity for an experienced design engineer to further develop their career within a leading building design consultancy.
This role will allow development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand digital skills and project management.
Responsibilities for this role include:
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs.
- Design and specification of all Electrical Building Services systems - power, earthing, lighting, life safety, telecoms, security, access control, lifts, lightning protection etc.
- Carry out (and managing of others), in the production of detailed calculations using industry standard software tools including Excel, Amtech, Dialux/Relux, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS.
- Work in partnership with Atkins international Global Technology Centre (GTC) to add value to building services projects where appropriate.
- Collaborate with our BIM team to prepare models and drawings, with a working understanding of Autodesk Revit.
- Representing Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works.
- Report and technical note writing.
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards.
- Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes.
- Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly and working to time allocations.
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings.
- Reviewing progress, including reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the project lead.
- Assist with technical development of junior staff.
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering / Electrical Engineering or related subjects.
- Chartered Engineer with CIBSE or IET.
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of software tools including Amtech/Prodesign, Dialux/Relux, NBS and
Microsoft packages. Any HV tools will also be beneficial.
- Familiar with energy reduction methods and approaches to decarbonising new and existing buildings.
- Some knowledge of energy related contracts and funding mechanisms such as SALIX.
- Understanding of energy and carbon related data capture and analytics.
- Awareness of the principles of building physics such as passive design solutions and fabric first approaches.
- Competent in designing for measurement and verification, including experience of commissioning and post installation evaluation of performance.
- Experience of working in a design consultancy and/or experience of working within a contractor design environment is essential.
- Detailed knowledge of appropriate technical standards.
- Able to take charge of project deliverables, make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with clients is essential.
- Comfortable working within time and cost budgets as agreed at project briefing meetings.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time, in order to maintain flexibility in the organisation.