Bid Manager (Construction)
Quote ref: 7199/21274
My client is a leading engineering consultancy and they are looking for a Bid Manager for their operation in Kent.
Some of the main responsibilities for this role include:
Project management of Bid Proposals:
- Monitoring and management of bid team to ensure sufficient resources are allocated to each tender opportunity.
- Programming of each bid project to meet deadlines with sufficient time in advance.
- Ensuring quality of bid responses always achieve top scoring and target win rate
- Lead and manage the planning and project management of the production and delivery of all bid projects to ensure these are delivered within submission timescales.
- Provide guidance for answering all questions to the highest standard, challenging content where appropriate to ensure a winning proposal is submitted.
- Editing, reviewing & writing of Bid Proposals
- Writing and review of proposals to ensure requirements are understood.
- Ensures that the proposal is structured and written in a manner that ensures the content: is easy to read; is technically accurate; comprehensively provides the correct/requested information in the correct form/structure for the intended audience; distinguishes the company from competitors and supports the company’s branding.
- Ensure that the proposal accurately and comprehensively communicates the company’s commercial proposition.
- Ensure that the branding and “look and feel” of the proposal: distinguishes the company from its competitors’; complies with the company’s style guide and supports the company’s brand.
Business Development & Bid Strategy:
- Development of a bid strategy and capture plan is kept in strict adherence to the company’s targets and values always working in close collaboration with the Head of Business Development and SMT.
- Produce quarterly business reports of bid activity across the group and work with the bid coordinator to ensure capture plan and feebid master list are maintained accurate and up to date.
- Organise and chair weekly team meetings to “touch base” on bid activity to identify strengths, best practice and areas of improvement
- Chair brainstorm meetings to help leads convene on best approach to tender response, price and bid strategy.
Liaison & Communication:
- Ensure timely and accurate communication with all external bodies involved in the production of a proposal.
- Ensure timely and accurate communication within the company of information relating to production and delivery of bid proposals.
- Promptly report to and liaise with the Technical Director and SMT on any matters related to the bidding activity.
Manage Bid Team:
- Supervise and monitor team works to ensure bid library content is up to date, case studies for marketing are professionally presented.
- Monitor and approve team timesheets to ensure they are accurately and timely compiled by the team.
- Approve holiday and special requests for time off.
- Hold one-to-one sessions periodically to ensure each member of the team understands their role and responsibilities, but also to build a rapport based on mutual trust in an open and fair environment.
- Chair weekly bid team meetings to review activities and manage workload across the team.
Any other duties reasonably required of the post-holder following consultation.
- Excellent English both written and spoken (GCSE English Level A or degree in English or a relevant discipline or equivalent)
- At least 3-5 years’ successful experience in a bid executive role.
- Managing bids (ideally within the construction/building industry).
- Working with public sector organisations.
- Knowledge of the OJEU and public procurement systems.
Technical Knowledge and Skill
- Assertive communicator and influencer, tailoring communication style to the target audience and ability to achieve buy-in from people. Excellent English both written and spoken.
- Highly skilled in editing and writing. Able to structure, edit/review and write technical and non-technical content to answer EoI, SSQ, ITT, RFQ, RFI, etc.
- Technical knowledge of the construction industry (in pp surveying, architecture and engineering) to a level that enables to accurately and competently assess and edit technical bid responses.
- Commercial acumen to be able to interpret and advise on pricing to steer commercial decisions towards the most competitive approach
- Self-motivated and self-starter. Displays a positive can-do attitude. Able to perform under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Team player, able to manage a small team.
Educational Requirements and Professional Qualifications
- A relevant degree or equivalent by experience.